1/01/2008

The New Year

Wow...it seems like forever since I last posted a blog on here. It has been a while, but I can assure you all I have not forgotten about my hermits! I am still very caring for them. The only problem is, we have been reduced down to three crabs only. :(

Kilimanjaro (thank God he is alive--my favorite), Pompeii (so photogenic!), and Mako (very interesting to watch), are the crabs who survived my mass death that the posts below talk about.

I've limited it down to two theories of why so many died. The first theory is most likely incorrect because I do not think it would have affected the Straws so quickly, but there may have been a bad batch of Oak leaves used in my crabitat.

The second theory is one a bit more obvious--the crabitat was filthy. It is a bit humiliating to announce, but there was not a deep clean in the crabitat in seven months plus. My crabitat, being a 20 gallon, is not that big, and it definitely could have been filthy.

There were white worms found in there...maybe some type of pest? There was also a bit of mold...the crabs definitely could have died from this. Since the deep clean, I can proudly say there have been no deaths!

I am working on convincing the parents that I am ready to have new crabs. They still don't want to buy them for me, and I don't think they understand the connection I have with these animals.

Either way, my birthday is coming up soon and I know what will be on my list! =D My birthday will be like my crab's birthday!

I am planning on getting a new PP or two so Mako can have a species buddy...and then I am also going to want one more Ecuadorian because I love them so much. That won't crowd the crabitat too much and I will be happy.

If I was able to find a micro or small Straw, it would be mine! However, I am still fearful about keeping Straws because of how delicate they are. In the future, I think it would be cool to have a crabitat of just Straws. It would be especially built for their needs.

Well, enough rambling. I'm gonna close this post up now. Happy New Year fellow crabbers! Hope your 2oo8 is crabby!

No comments: