1/22/2009

The Story Behind the Name

I just realized today while browsing my blog (yes, I am a geek who enjoys reading his own blog), that I never really mentioned why this blog is named Kilimanjaro's Hermits. I figured that I probably should at least dedicate one blog post to the namesake!

In case you didn't know, or you've been trapped in a cellar for your entire life, Kilimanjaro comes from the roof of Africa, Mount Kilimanjaro. It's a pretty big mountain. Sadly, the snowy rooftop is melting away rapidly due to global warming. It's expected that in two decades, the entire roof will bear no snow. This could have potentially dangerous effects on weather patterns.

Anyway, I've always chosen exotic or unusual crab names for my land hermit crabs. I figure that it should be no different for my first Ecuadorian! He was dubbed Kilimanjaro, and I liked the name so much, I changed my username on the HCA from chicofeo1993 (ugly boy) to Kilimanjaro. Now, I am widely known on that forum as "Kili".

Anyway, this name has kind of stuck since my first Ecuadorian proudly walked around with the name of a giant mountain. Although my first Ecuadorian passed away due to molting troubles, he still has a lasting memory both in my heart and throughout the cyberspace world (okay, maybe not the entire cyberspace world, but the land hermit crab community!).

RIP Kilimanjaro

1 comment:

Vegan Recipes said...

Hi thanks for posting tthis