9/12/2011

Food Trials: Fresh Dragonfruit

Today at the grocery store, I came across a fruit I have longed to try. I have a taste for exotic fruits, so I've always been on the hunt for the elusive dragonfruit. Needless to say, I was ecstatic when I found it! It cost me around $7.00 for this little fruit, but it was worth it. Not only had I longed to try it, I had also wanted to see what my crabs thought of it!
To prepare this fruit, you cut it once down the center and then hollow out the insides. They're somewhat firm, but yield easily to the scraping of a spoon. Once you have the insides all scraped out, you can dice it into chunks or smaller slices.
The taste for me was somewhat light and kind of similar to a pear or kiwi. The texture is very interesting because the seeds make it somewhat grainy.
I have placed it in the crab's food dish, so we will see how they like it!

Dragonfruit is high in Vitamin C and other minerals, making it a good choice of fruit to offer land hermit crabs. It varies their diet, which is very important in keeping them interested in the food dish! You can find dragonfruit at some grocery stores, health food stores, or Asian grocers.


No comments: