6/08/2009

Behavior of Ecuadorian Hermit Crabs (C. compressus)

I've always found it very interesting to contrast the behavior of Coenobita compressus, Ecuadorian land hermit crabs, with the others. While most other crabs are docile and not quick in their step, Ecuadorians seem to be the opposite.

What makes their metabolism so much higher? Why do they have such a higher energy than the other hermit crabs? These questions have no answers and I really can't hypothesize why.

My dad once remarked how fast one of my Ecuadorians was moving across the floor. Compared to the other crabs, these guys are really speedy!

Anyway, I just thought this blog post would be of some interest because I am currently watching one of my new Ecuadorians, Kalao, continuously climb up on one of the decorations and fall. He is determined to climb on top of the fluorescent light hood and walk upside down, but he continues to fail. I find it interesting to see that he has this continuous determination to do something that is quite amusing to watch.

On a side note, I got my shipment from Mountain Rose Herbs today! Everything was packed very neatly and I am very happy with my purchase. We will see if the crabs are tonight!


-Kili

No comments: