11/10/2008

The Verdict: Kiwano

A few days ago, I trialed the kiwano melon to see how it went over with the crabs. Unable to find it on hardly any food lists, I went ahead and trialed it, knowing that it wasn't necessarily deemed safe or unsafe.

However, there was no evidence proving that this food was unsafe for hermit crabs, and I have to say that my hermit crabs most likely agree.

The kiwano was eaten a bit, but it definitely wasn't a huge favorite in my tank. If you're looking for exotic fruits for your crabs, stick to pomegranate, mango, kiwi, and the like. The kiwano was not a very interestinting food for my crabs*.

*Trial was conducted on fresh and three-day old kiwano. Dried kiwano may produce different results with land hermit crabs.




On a side note, I've tried a new lettuce with the crabs and they seem to like it. It's called escarole. I also enjoy it with a bit of vinegar!
It's always a good idea to offer leafy green vegetables with land hermit crabs because they can boost calcium and other vitamin levels in your land hermit crabs. There is, however, a debate about oxalic acids (how's that for a big word) which bind to calcium sources, so this is a potential problem for leafy greens. Observing a land hermit crab's diet in the wild would be great in order to see if they eat leafy greens. Then, finally, the myth can either be proved or busted!

No comments: