7/18/2008

Personal Food Trial: Petunias

Today, I am trialing (personal trial) petunia flowers from my mom's garden. They came from Lowes (fertilized), but they have been in organic soil and drained with plenty of water for around 3 months now, so I think they will be fine. Plus, there are holes all throughout the flowers! Something's enjoying them; and it's probably smaller than the crabs.

Anyway, petunias are on trial tonight, tomorrow, and the next day. I know they are safe for crabs already, but I want to see how mine respond to the flower.

Flowers are a great food to feed the crabs because they are high in nutrients that most foods do not have. They are known to be high in some oils and also phytonutrients. They are great to offer. Most crabs prefer their flowers slightly rotten or frozen. I would recommend feeding organic flowers only (flower pictured to the right is a hibiscus - crabs love these!).

I will post back on this blog in two days to let you all know how the trial went.

DAY 1 OF PETUNIA TRIAL:
Both petunia blossoms were completely eaten! I have never seen this kind of response to any food I put in there, besides oak leaves. I only have two crabs up at the moment and they devoured the flowers. I am putting more in tonight.

DAY 2 (LAST) OF PETUNIA TRIAL:
I placed in two petunia blossoms and they were both consumed well. There was still part of one left, but they definitely enjoyed them for a second night. I think I am going to dry some tomorrow because they love them so much!

No comments: