4/19/2008

An Update On The Gang

Well, the last update was a while ago so I have decided that an update was needed on my gang. As most of you should know (if you are an avid reader), I currently have five hermit crabs: Mako and Shinto Tetracolor (Purple Pinchers), Kilimanjaro and Pompeii (Ecuadorians), and Ryukyu (Viola). They are all doing fine.

Mako is currently under the Eco-Earth and probably molting, seeing it as he's only had two molts with me so far. He's been down for at least two weeks already, so I am expecting a surfacing sometime at the beginning of May or end of April. His last molt he lost a little color, but I am expecting him to have gained some this time because my Ecuadorian did, too.


Shinto Tetracolor is also down under right now. He switched into this very nice shell you can see at the right. He is looking a bit ashy, too. He is a recent purchase and is probably down to destress and molt. I think he might lose a little color since he has been in pet store captivity. I am expecting him to surface around the second week of May.



Kilimanjaro is down right now, also. I am not sure why, though. He molted not too long ago and is probably recreationally digging or worse...disturbing one of the purple pinchers that are molting. I am really hoping that Kilimanjaro surfaces soon and does not start any trouble with the other crabs. He hasn't been known for disturbing molters, but he does like to dig a lot. Kilimanjaro has been down under for at least two weeks.


Pompeii recently finished a molt and came out looking fantastic. Take a look at her picture. Her color has darkened and I don't think she has looked better. However, I am getting a little worried because I noticed she has also dug down. Ecuadorians are reputable for digging down and disturbing molters. Kilimanjaro and Pompeii could easily be disturbing molters now...but I really hope not.






Last but not least, is Ryukyu, my Viola, who is known to not come out at all and whom I have no good pictures of. This is probably the best one. The good thing is, Ryukyu is finally becoming more active as I caught him yesterday climbing and exploring the small shell pit. He is a very nice crab and is a little shy. Unfortunately, he has not dug down yet to destress or molt so I really hope he does not succumb to any type of PPS.


There are the crab updates I've promised. I hope everything goes well with them! This is my gang and I'd hate to lose any of them!












1 comment:

happybelly said...

I love your blog. Very informative even though I don't have hermies I know a bit abouth them bcuz of tetracolor....