1/17/2008

20 Gallon Just Not Enough?

Alright, I have been sizing my twenty gallon for the past few days to calculate how much space I will have in it after my deep clean. It is a standard twenty gallon, with a lot of floor space. Currently it is half playsand and half coconut fiber, but in April, I am planning to switch that out to just coconut fiber because I like it better.

The objects in the crabitat are all small and not really taking up floor space. The hideys provided don't really take up much floorspace and after my moss pit addition there will be plenty of new places to hide. The crabitat can easily fit more than 5 crabs.

The small crabs I am planning on getting are all quite small, around the size of a golf ball or smaller. They only take up about 4 gallons each in my opinion, but I figure that more than five crabs could live in here. I decided that eight or nine can probably manage.

The current crabs are one purple pincher (Mako), two Ecuadorians (Pompeii and Kilimanjaro), and one ruggie (Hokkaido). I am planning on buying one or more Ruggies this weekend plus a purple pincher. With three more crabs, my tank will almost be complete.

Then, I think to myself, is that all I want? And the answer is no. What if my crabs continue to grow large...will I need more tankspace? Yes...the problem is...I currently have no room for any more crabitats.

So, it is a bit of a dilemma...but I am just excited to get the new crabs this Saturday!

No comments: